Design Rescue…Before and After

rescue2This project put my skills to the test. I was asked to take a building which was nearly at lock-up stage and change the design. The main issue was that it was not going to meet the standard of style or quality of the surrounding homes; it really needed some help. I was given free reign to do what I saw fit without going too crazy cost -wise. There was definitely a good base to start from but substantial re-framing of windows, the addition of some roof structure and some beefy accents were required.

  Click on the images below to view the Project Gallery arrow

This was my starting point. Some things to note are the overall lack of (and symmetry of) windows, minimal overhangs, thin fascias and bizarre dormers that don't match the style of the home....there's a lot going on that needs attention.Here's the same elevation after the design changes were made. The front and right walls were re-framed with more windows added. The window frames were changed to a colour which more closely matched the exterior and weren't as stark and 'cheap' looking as the white vinyl units.I don't quite know where to start with this elevation....there was just too much wall area in comparison to the window area and the roof lines are just weak. The roof is a unique feature of the home but seemed to have no feeling. In addition, there was no covered porch other than the front door being recessed behind the overhang. Really quite bizarre.This is the resultant elevation after the addition of an entry porch and beefed up fascias. Another set of windows were added and the fireplace removed. (You can see the fireplace vent in the previous photo). It was a nice feature inside but didn't allow for windows to take in all of the lake views) Built-in gutters were also added. (The down pipes shown were only temporary). My personal preference would have been to replace both the garage door and entry doors with something more modern but budget is always a concern on a project of this scope. Likely a coat of some darker shade would tone down the door and make it less visible.Again, the big things here are a complete lack of symmetry and disproportionate window sizing. It feels very lop-sided from left to right and the little gables on the left side are just too small. It's tough to see in the photo but there's a small roof over the double doors to act as cover for the deck which doesn't fit with the style of the home.I've removed the covered deck roof and replaced it with a trellis feature and added floor to ceiling banks of windows to fill the wall space. The deck was also removed and a new one installed in the theme of the trellis.These little dormers are just lifeless and don't fit at all with the style of the building. Definitely some change required here.In order to take away from the flat look of the existing dormers, I added an inverted roof across both of the bumped out sections and tied them together. It gives it a lot more bulk and now your eye is fixed on the soffit material rather than looking at shingles. The windows were also replaced with larger units more suited to the home's style. Notice the depth of fascias here; much heavier than the 2x4 fascias which were originally planned.Because I increased the overhang, I felt that some angled brackets would give it the appearance of being supported by beams extending from the roof system. I matched these on the large wall and the new dormer You can see that there's much more visual appeal here now and the wood & stone features tie it into the natural landscape nicely. It just didn't feel 'grounded' here to me before.This finished product has a completely different feel from it's starting point.. As with every project, there are always items here and there that could be tweaked, but in the end I was quite thrilled with the outcome.